Sunday, January 18, 2009

Quilt from TCQC 01-18-09

"Chimney Pots" Elizabeth Barton 2005 50"W x 39.5L
Hand dyed, painted, stamped, screened, discharged fabrics. Cotton, silk, rayon, wool, furnishing fabrics. Machine raw edge and turned applique, machine piecing, machine quilting.
Elizabeth's quilts are so individual that I'm sure I would recognize one anywhere. Her work is almost entirely based on photos taken in England where she grew up and where she travels frequently. She creates her own fabrics - starting with plain white or black fabric, she hand dyes, paints, stamps, screens and discharges to achieve the look of the surfaces she is depicting. In this quilt I particularly like the potato dextrin and shibori pieces. I was fortunate to attend a workshop at Elizabeth's studio in Georgia; learning different dyeing techniques, including shibori, along with her thoughts on developing a design. Her quilts have been juried into a number of prestigious exhibit, including Visions and Quilt National. She teaches workshops at many different locations including Art Quilt Tahoe, QBL, Empty Spools @ Asilomar, and Arrowmont. Check her website for dates and locations.
Her quilts are available at several galleries and on her website at: http://www.elizabethbarton.com/
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Terry Grant said...

How wonderful! I want to be Elizabeth Barton when I grow up. She has the most appealing, distinctive style and I am enjoying reading her blog. Very thoughtful writer.

Elizabeth Barton said...

Thank you Terry!! but I don't want to grow up! extended childhood is so much fun.
And thank you very much Del for your lovely kind remarks - I'm glowing! a verbal massage!
Elizabeth

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

fabulous...i see you have two quilts from GA quilters...I LOVE Liz's work