Wednesday, May 20, 2009

2007 Driving across Kansas 05-19-09

On this day in 2007 I was driving east across Kansas on US Hwy 50 - at that time it was a part of the country I had not seen before. The weather was great with lots of fluffy white clouds and green pasture to each horizon. I was en route to Carbondale, KS, (near the eastern border) to pick up Ruth Powers for our trip to Ohio for the SAQA conference and the opening of Quilt National 2007. This entire trip was just perfect. Looking west across the last of the true bluegrass pasture which stretches four and a half million acres. It is cattle country and cow country. I took the picture above when I was standing on the other side of this marker. Nice image of cowboy/horse/cattle and the Kansas state flower.

I saw very little traffic on Hwy 50. This image looks forward....


....and this image shows the reflection of the roadway I have just traveled.

A tidy dairy farm - there was a modern one story milking barn nearby.

These are long horned (medium horned?) cattle rather than dairy cows. I always see lots of cattle when I drive across country. If I stop on the roadside to take pictures they usually come to the fence to stare at me. Guess they must get really bored out there in the middle of nowhere.

I had spent the previous night in Hutchinson, KA, would spend this evening and night with Ruth and Charlie Powers. I started looking at these pictures today because I thought the memory of that trip might get me out of the dumps over missing this year's trip. I'll have to wait and see!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

lindainbelgium said...

Del: I made it. 6 hr drive, MD-WVA-OH and Martha, the driver, was kind enough to stop so I could take photo of the Chew Mail Pouch barn. I think they (barn owners) realize this is Americana and have repainted it since last trip when Jim wouldn't stop so I could take my photo. I wanted to be able to send photos +/or post to facebook, but my card reader is at home so you must have patience and forgive my forgetfulness!

I will report in however.

Linda