Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I-5 N toward Oregon 06-05-09

North of the small town of Santa Nella the land to the east of I-5 stretches out to the foothills of the Sierra. And throughout the valley snake the aqueducts that bring water from the mountains to the farms and fields in the valley. One of the most common signs one sees is "Food grows where water flows".
Turn around to the other side of I-5 and the land stretches west to the coastal mountains. Dry, hilly land provides grazing for cattle and horses.

After the intense traffic around Sacramento, California's capital city, the views become agricultural again. Planted April to June, the rice fields are now very bright green. The light areas in this picture are the light reflecting on the water. California is second to Arkansas in rice production in the USA.

I continue to be amazed at the things I see hauled on the highways. This very weird contraption was a mystery until I passed it, then I could see it has foot pads inside the ring. I believe it is an arcade feature that holds a person spread eagled and turns round and up and down. I can't find a photo online because I can't figure out what to call it!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: