Thursday, June 11, 2009

I-5 north from Redding 06-05-09

The rain started just north of the town of Williams and was off and on the rest of the way north. I spent the night in Redding because it was raining and I didn't want to drive over the mountains after dark in the rain - I'm getting to be a chicken in my old age. But I did get an early start in the morning - 6am - very unusual for me.

It wasn't exactly raining in the morning, just misting, and the clouds were hanging low on the mountains. That early there was little traffic.


I stopped in Weed for gas and a bite to eat - McD's, of all places, but it was convenient and surprisingly good. However, I did go across the street for my decaf latte. It was extra good (I also stopped on the way home) and the lady at the drive up was very nice.

After going over the top, but still in California, there is a long stretch of road through a high mountain valley. It always reminds me of Montana/Wyoming landscapes. Lots of pasture land and not many houses. It is definitely cattle country.

South of Yreka on the east side of I-5 there is a bull made of metal scrap. I can't find anything that tells how long it has been there, but it is many years.

Nor do I know what its association is with "The State of Jefferson", but it is somehow related.

This is a closeup taken on a previous trip, the bull is very large and easily seen while driving I-5.


This hay barn is close to where the bull stands. For information about this 1940s attempt to add another state to the USA see: www.jeffersonstate.com
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

June said...

Hey Del, Will you make it as far north as Portland? I envy you your ability to climb in the car and savor the silence and landscape and time to think. Of course, if you get to Portland (and let us know) your silence will be broken, at least for a bit. Holler if you are in the vicinity. You're getting close to our territory.

Patty ♣ said...

I love to see that old bull when we travel up that way... I never noticed before, does that bull have udders? !!!!

Del said...

Patty - In that close up picture it certainly looks like he has udders. I'll have to look for some more images that maybe show more of the area in question!