Monday, June 1, 2009

TCQC Summer Lily 05-31-09


"Summer Lily" Ruth B. McDowell 2002 58"W x70"L
Machine pieced, machine quilted, cotton fabrics, cotton thread.
Ruth's comments about this quilt: I love the candelabra shape of the northeastern wildflower, Lilium Canadensis. The flowers, which in nature are only 3 inches or so across, have been greatly enlarged for the quilt. My quilts develop from the fabrics I happen to have at the time. A very large-scale white background fabric in the borders is a drapery remnant from Holland. mcdowellquilts@comcast.net

I am a big fan of commercial prints and this quilt has so many different fabrics that every time I hang it I see one I didn't notice before. I've taken some detail pictures and I'm sure that some of you can identify every fabric. I'll just point out a few.

The large piece of blue on the right is a Marimekko, as is the yellow plaid in the upper left. There are several batiks and also 2 pieces of hand dye on the lower left.

On the right is more of the violet w/triangles fabric, just below it and to the left is another fabric from the same line and a hand dyed shibori seen in several places in the quilt.


Center top is more of the hand dyed shibori, to the right of which is a piece of the large print from Holland, the leaf across the middle is from the Kona Bay fabric line Ruth designed, across the bottom is some Kaffe Fassett Swiss Chard fabric and in the corner more of the Holland piece.

6 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I am always delighted to see Ruth's quilts! I hope I can someday take a class from her!!!

Corky said...

I love this quilt. You are lucky to own it!

jpsam said...

I love this quilt, too! Thank you for sharing it with us. Wonderful to see the fabrics.

I bought some of the Marimekko plaid--but in greens and an orange-pink combo. I think they were remnants at Crate and Barrel. I should go back there and check out their remnant bin.
joan

Loretta said...

Thank you Del for sharing another of your very special quilts by Ruth. Ruth has an absolutely incredible sense of fabric, color and design -- also an enormous fabric stash! I'm looking forward to my trip in October to her Deerfield class.
P.S. I trust you're feeling better.

Kristin L said...

You blow me away every time you post yet another Ruth McDowell quilt! Your collection gets better and better with every peek. i am a huge Ruth fan, as well as a huge fan of Pamela Allen. Some day I'm going to come to your house and leave a trail of drool as I oggle all your fabulous quilts in person. ;-)

Eileen said...

I love Ruth's quilts and I have her 2 "workshop" books. I only wish I had the time to attend one of her classes.
Thank you for sharing.