Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back in wonderful Pacific Grove 08-31-09

I drove I-5 up to San Juan Bautista yesterday (Sunday), it is about 5-1/2 hours and the traffic was light. Lots of cotton fields in bloom and many browning almond trees - from the drought and inability to tap into anymore water from the aqueduct. Sad.

This afternoon I drove into Pacific Grove for a lesson on Microsoft Publisher from Jeanne Mills. I imagine she was shocked at how much I don't know about my computer. I just learn what I can figure out or what someone explains to me. I find the computer instruction books very frustrating, especially those without a glossary. So, I resort to what kids do and just start clicking, saying "Now, what does this little box do?" Eventually I find an answer to my question - not necessarily the easiest way to do something, but just a way that works. In appreciation for all the time she has given me I took her to dinner at Passionfish. Yummy!

Naturally, my first stop was at Back Porch Fabrics - just to say hello. Well, I did snap up several fabrics that the bolts were almost empty, because I knew that the Empty Spools students would be in later. This is the view from the street in front of the shop (which is on the right side of the picture) looking out to Monterey Bay - it isn't a gorgeous view, but one that is very familiar and means I am THERE. I don't know why but going to PGrove is like being home to me.

This little Cooper was parked in front of me. Guess the driver really enjoys it. Or perhaps he puts his vanity plate on every car he owns. I do.

But I noticed the little sign in the back window. The only thing I can think of is an association with the signs in side view mirrors, warning that things are closer than they appear.

I did go to the evening presentation at Empty Spools - four of the teachers gave a ten minute presentation, either with actual quilts or with a Power Point program. It is always interesting to hear new teachers talk about what they teach and to catch up with what is current with teachers that come annually. Four more teachers will talk tonight and the final four on Thursday.

I couldn't post this last night because the satellite connection was not working. Sorry. Del

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Marti said...

In the stamp mag from the postal service, they reference the pics "actual size", not actual size, etc. :)