Friday, October 30, 2009

PIQF #16 Butterflies, a turtle and fish 10-30-09

Turtles seem to be popular the last few years, perhaps because some species are endangered.
Last year there was a turtle very much like this, but I looked and it is not the same one. They were both beautiful done with a very effective "seagoing" background.

NO PHOTO OF LABEL FOR THE ONE BELOW - SORRY!
IF IT IS YOURS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

This most colorful turtle appears to be on a background similar to diamond piecing done by Jan Krentz and her students. I think this is also an effective background for an underwater scene.

But I must admit that I took pictures of this quilt because of the tiny-weeny mouths on the fish. I don't know how someone can applique something so small and so smooth. Great applique.
There were also quite a few butterflies this year. I like this one especially.
The color is lovely and the stitch precise and even.

You will notice that this quilt with only three butterflies is enormous. I'm not sure I could live with such huge creatures, but I love the design and the color.

And also the idea that this is the third generation of butterfly quilts in the family.

This construction method looks similar to that of Terry Grant in Oregon. See how she does it at
http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/2006/04/my-fusing-method.html
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I just love these pictures!!!!!
I want to do an underwater piece sometime!

Meggie said...

Amazing to see the different techniques. Wonderful.

Corky said...

I'm so excited to see Mary's completed Oliver quilt. It's wonderful! And isn't Mary beautiful in this photo?