Saturday, January 9, 2010

Karen Flamme 01-09-10

"In Memoriam" Karen Flamme 2007 34"W x 51"L
I photographed this quilt at the East Bay Heritage Quilters Quilt Show at the Oakland Convention Center in the April 2007. The accompanying sign had only the info above, but I believe the quilt relates to losses in the Iraq war. The sheer, golden (tulle?) fabric moved as people walked by giving it a ghostly presence. I'm showing this quilt today because Karen, who has survived life threatening illness in the past year, is included in an exhibit that opened today at the Gallery Concord (http://www.ci.concord.ca.us/recreation/thingstodo/gallery.htm). She is the guest fiber artist at this wonderful nonprofit, educational gallery that features the work of members of the California Watercolor Association. The opening reception was last evening and I wish I could have been there for the festivities and to see Karen and her art. The show will run until March 28 and I hope you'll have a chance to see it when you are in the Concord area. www.karenflamme.com

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm glad I clicked on the photo to get a closer look. You can see the sheerness.

Karen Flamme said...

Thanks so much, Del, I'm doing great!
The top part of the quilt is a panel of a series of photographs of a hillside in Lafayette, CA with crosses commemorating all the lives lost. About 3 years ago when I took the photos the count was in the 3,000s, and now is over 5,000. The sheers are organza -- some polyester and some silk.
In Memoriam was first shown in Art Quilts: Markings in North Carolina and most recently in Form Not Function in Indiana.