Friday, March 5, 2010

Hanford, CA and SJB 03-05-10

Yesterday afternoon I drove from SJB to Hanford, CA, about a three hour drive mostly on good,open highway. It was an amazing day - bright blue sky, with puffy little white clouds and a view that stretched to the foothills of the Sierra - or almost. My eyes have been bothering me so I can't see as well as I usually do. But nothing could diminish the sunshine and the vast fields (to be planted in cotton maybe) stretch flat and forever. I went to do the evening program about the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection for Common Threads Quilt Guild. It is a lovely group of ladies and they seemed to enjoy seeing the quilts and hearing my explanations about each quilt. They kindly furnished four quilt hanging stands, in addition to my two, so we were able to hang six large quilts before the members started arriving. This gives everyone a better chance to see some of the quilts up close. Suzanne Kistler took the picture below of me standing next to Ruth B. McDowell's "Summer Lily", a quilt with a fantastic collection of fabrics that only Ruth could assemble. It is a pretty good picture even though all my pudginess is obvious. Hard to hide it these days. Maybe I should try wearing mu mu's!
The meeting finished a little after 9pm (I ran on a bit too long - sorry), I stopped at a gas station to scrape some of the bugs off my windshield (everything is green and growing and the bugs are eating everything in sight apparently - and then committing suicide on I-5) and headed back to SJB. Arrived about 12:20am and I was sound asleep by 1am. Quite a good drive.

Today I was sewing at Mary's dining room table (so I didn't have to haul my machine down and up stairs) where I could look out at the oak trees and the green, green grass in the open areas. I've never lived where the deer roamed (I know they can be very destructive) so it is nice to look up now and then and see these gals looking back at me. Lots of early shooting-stars wildflowers in the background. All day it looked as though it might rain, but I don't think we had a drop. Sure is cold up here though. The high is about what the low is in Placentia. I have layers and layers of quilts on my bed so I do sleep warm enough. And that is what am going to do right now.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

"Summer Lily" is a fantastic quilt. You look just darling with your jaunty hat. I bet the guild loved your presentation.

Patty ♣ said...

You L@@k good my dear!
I KNOW that you were fun to listen
to !