Saturday, June 12, 2010

Quilts from Monterey Peninsula QShow 06-12-10

Today was the first day of the two-day Monterey Peninsula Quilters Guild Quilt Show which is being held in Seaside (just north of Monterey) at the high school gym. It was one of the reasons I drove up for this weekend and it was worth the drive! There are 300 quilts plus some garments and a whole rack of creative quilted purses. Also vendors, food service from Erik's and some very welcoming guild members staffing everything. Mary and I were joined by Jeanette Horley for the 30 minute drive and we spend about four hours - all that my old body could take!
The highlight for us was seeing two ribbons on Mary's quilt "Oliver", which she started in an Empty Spools 2009 class with Susan Carlson. It was expertly quilted by Sharon Winter, a local quilter who does her work on her Bernina.


The blue ribbon is first place in the category "Small Art Quilts" and the purple ribbon is a Judge's Choice. Hurrah for Mary!!



Jean Dunn is a local friend who works and teaches at Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove. Her quilts are always a little different, a step beyond what most quilters would do. She has several quilts in this show and this is one of my favorites.



Beside the color - how I do love red (but not as much as yellow) - the motifs in the circles are worth a closer look and more than one time. This quilt literally pulsates on the wall.

I have more photos, but will wait until sometime next week to post. I still have pictures to post from the Beach Cities Quilters Guild QShow last weekend. After I drive home tomorrow I will have a quilt to post from TCQC.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Corky said...

HUGE congrats to Mary on her well-deserved ribbons! I'm so glad I got the chance to see Oliver come to life.