Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Two Viewer's Choice winners 06-08-10

Surfside Quilters Guild met today in San Clemente - although I was so tired I was almost ready to say I couldn't make it. It is my own fault for leaving things to the last minute and then staying up into the wee hours to finish on time. But once I arrived at the meeting it was so exhilarating to be in that room with about 120 stimulated quilters that I mostly forgot how tired I was until I started driving home. Groan, moan, huge sighs, but I made it and immediately took a two hour nap! After I woke up I started remembering those half finished conversations that alway occur when people are in a large group and there is so much going on. I regret that I have such a hard time remembering names these days (when have I not?) or I would send apologies to several people. If any are reading this - please accept my sincere apologies if I ended a conversation before either of us were through! I had several members helping me today - taking down names as I took pictures and helping me remember who was who. Thanks, ladies.
The Beach Cities Quilters Guild held their QShow in Aliso Viejo over the weekend. It is one of the better SCalifornia shows with some very talented and productive quiltmakers. Liz and I lasted four hours before we pooped out and had to leave. I took a few pictures, but am trying to get some friends to share their photos with me so I can share them with you - maybe sometime later in the week. The two quilts below won the Viewer's Choice award. I have shown Jan Hirth's eye-popping red background quilt before -
I wonder if I will ever get tired of looking at it - NO!

This pattern is a book from Piece of Cake Designs called "Aunt Millie's Garden". The 12 blocks are each 14" square and the completed quilt measures 70"W x 75.5" L

Jan has retired now from teaching quilting in Adult Education in south Orange County, but many of her students are very active in the quilting community here. This quilt, made from the same "Aunt Millie's Garden" pattern was made by Gail Brunell and also won a Viewer's Choice award at the quilt show. Gail has done a variation on the border using the same flower designs that are found in Jan's quilt.
I don't vote for Viewer's Choice at QShows, mainly because I can never make up my mind which quilt I like the most! But, had I voted I would certainly have voted for one of these marvellous quilts.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Corky said...

These are beautiful quilts and I can understand why they won.