Monday, September 6, 2010

"Free Hugs" 09-06-10

This might be too serious for some of you and I can understand that - there was a time it was too serious for me.
Linda Minton ( http://fiberreflections.blogspot.com ) posted on her blog a video of some young people in Italy carrying around signs offering free hugs. I've seen it before and perhaps you have also. It makes me cry.
It reminds me of a childless quilting lady I became friends with some years ago. She once told me that she didn't really want to make quilts, but she loved being around quilters because they were so quick to hug everyone. She went on to say that one thing she had never realized about being a widow was that nobody would ever touch her again. Except for medical personnel. Sad, eh? She is gone and I have been a childless widow for twenty years - I now know that she was right.
In the past most people lived in small communities and knew what was going on in each other's lives and, regardless of the jokes about nosey neighbors, there was an advantage - people looked out for each other and gave hugs when hugs were needed. In our very busy lives we (and our sorrows) are frequently anonymous and our problems not something to be discussed. I hope you will watch the "Free Hugs" video and start a campaign of giving out free hugs. Everyone needs them.
Now I am off my soap box for another year or so!

9 comments:

dee said...

Let me be the first to return the virtual hugs you have sent me so many times...
Hope you have a lovely day Del.

Terry Grant said...

Lovely. Hugs to you--

Christine Thresh said...

You look very hugable. If we meet I'll give you a hug. I'll try not to knock your hat off.

Gerrie said...

(((((hugs)))))

Del said...

I appreciate all the virtual hugs - thank you. I'm not shy about giving or receiving hugs from just about anyone - maybe not King Kong! I hope you will spread the hugs around randomly and put a little cheer in the day of someone you meet.

abelian said...

You'll get a hug for sure when I see you in November at the South Bay QG!

Dottie

Meggie said...

I have a habit of hugging people. Should I ever get the chance, I would love to hug you.

Corky said...

I'm not a touchy feely person. I was raised in a home where hugs didn't happen. That British reserve ya know. I find it awkward to make physical contact with people, but wish that wasn't so. I'm going to work on it. Maybe one day you'll see me out with a free hugs sign!

ShirleyB said...

Thank you for sharing a wonderful video (it made me cry also). Thank you for reminding me that there are people who don't get hugs (the reason doesn't matter). Thank you for the encouragement to give hugs more often.