Friday, March 11, 2011

Morning Exercise Pool 03-11-11

Since I was late for my therapy session on Wednesday I wanted to be sure I wasn't late again, so I left a half an hour earlier.  Still had to wait for a train, but the traffic was not at a standstill - not the entire trip anyway.  I arrived about 25 minutes before my appointment time, shed my clothes and discovered there was nobody there yet.  What to do?  Nobody allowed in the pool until the therapist arrives.   

I got out my camera and walked around the pool.  I can't read the clock, but it must have been about 7:45am (I know, you don't believe I was really there - it was the 'middle of the night').  A little hazy from the heat from the pool, but look in the window reflections - the sky is really blue.  There are clocks on all the walls, most about two feet from the floor.  Plus the minute timer right at the corner of the pool.
A few minutes later it is more clear and you can clearly see the pretty pictures at the other end of the pool.  I was surprised to see them - is this standard for therapy pools? 
Here at the five foot depth is a pile of the torture implements used in the pool.  Mostly things one holds in hands and waves around in the water with enormous effort to strengthen muscles.  I've only used the easiest ones.  But those pool noodles are great when I am floating on my back - I put one under my neck for support and it keeps my neck from hurting.  And I just float and float until I'm told to stop - it feels so wonderful.
 
The vicious steps - it is the third one from the bottom that reaches up and bites one on the .. tush!  But I did better today, I got out of the pool verrrry slowly. 
One odd touch is this miniature disco ball hanging at one end of the ceiling.  It seems that a decade ago they played disco music during sessions and some unidentified wit hung the ball.
 Is there a trick to getting one's clothes on after showering? The air is so moist I can't pull anything up or down without a struggle.  It took me almost a half an hour to get out of there.   Maybe I should just put on a muu-muu (remember those?) over my nekkid self, but I couldn't stop anywhere on the way home.  Today I had brunch at my favorite place - Kemmie's in downtown Orange - before delivering a gift to a friend's front door.  I meant to stop at the Auto Club which is near my friend's house, but I forgot.  Later in the afternoon I had to go out again to pick up maps and tour books ... and a decaf latte.   Next therapy session is next Wednesday - meanwhile I exercise.  
 Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Talcum powder! A little bit will do miracles.
I hope this all works out for you. I used to swim laps every other day and it was wonderful plus I would kind of meditate while I swam, got lots of good ideas.
Mary Ann

Patty ♣ said...

Another interesting post...resulting in the exercising of my facial muscles as I smiled all through it...
You are doing GOOD!

June said...

Oh, man, your water space is sooo much fancier than mine. The relaxing with the noodle is a great idea -- it rewards you for the gasp! 7 AM start. I don't have to leave until 7:45 and believe me, I don't get up a minute earlier than necessary. But being enveloped in the lovely caressing water is part of the reward.

Maybe you should investigate drive-through post-exercise rewards. so you can avoid the blasted dressing problem? Or, invest in some long wrap-around skirts (jeans fabric). They are less moo-mooish. And tops you can always button yourself into.

Corky said...

Powder is your friend! Living here in the humid south, it's a regular fixture in my dressing routine.

Lunachance said...

While powder seems to be the "go to" thing to help get dressed, I used moisturizing lotion on my skin to help get rid of the chlorine smell. The lotion will also help your clothing "go up" while getting dressed.

You should feel lucky, my physical therapist has an underwater treadmill! That can be brutal, especially in th emorning.

Cheers,
Lunachance
Redmond, WA