Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jean Ray Laury 1928 - 2011 03-06-11

One of the stars of the quilting world has left us and we will be less without her.  Jean Ray Laury died on Wednesday, March 2nd.  Here is a URL for her obituary in the Fresno Bee:
http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/03/03/2295579/fresno-artistauthor-dies-at-82.html


I met Jean in the early 80s when she gave a lecture in Los Angeles and I followed it up with a one-day workshop with her.  Subsequently I took a couple more workshops, but the first one is the one that comes to mind when I think of Jean Ray Laury.  I had been quilting for many years, but only traditional quilts.  Jean's workshop pushed everyone into doing something original - a unique expression of oneself.  It was a BIG push!  I was so 'jazzed' I could hardly drive home.  For many students she was the first teacher who validated their wish to express themselves in their quilts.  And she did it with such grace and caring. 

I took this picture of Jean Ray at a Visions function in 2004.  She is on the left, standing with Patti Sevier, who was Visions President at that time.

.  "Lowanda Does Hollywood"  Jean Ray Laury - Clovis, CA  2001  30.5"W x 33.5"L

This quilt is part of the TCQC.  Sometimes when I show it people ask if I was the model.   No, she didn't have me in mind at all, but with the chunky cheeks, dangling earrings and hat it could be me.  Though, I wouldn't get caught anywhere in the yellow aviators. 

Beside the fact of the hats, I love this quilt because it has so many of the techniques that she developed and taught in her classes and in her books - including silk screen printing, Thermofax printing, stenciling, hand drawing, hand painting, foiling, piecing and machine quilting.
I showed this quilt previously in 2008:
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

June said...

Wonderful. Thanks, Del.

dee said...

what a fabulous, and fun, talent she was.

Karen Rips said...

I tiook a class with her once at quilt show in Pasadena and as many others have said, she got me started done this art quilt path.

Patty ♣ said...

When I started quilting, in the 80's, Jean Ray Laury was one of the speakers that Orange County Quilter's Guild had come to speak to us. She was different and exciting... I loved her presentation! This quilt is so fun and does always remind me of you Del!! We have lost most interesting quilt artist!

Gerrie said...

I just love this. It could be you!

Linda said...

I am honored to have been a neighbor of Jean and Frank Laury, in the foothills east of Clovis. She was a gracious and generous friend, inspiring teacher and gifted artist.
She organized and taught at Quilt Camp for many years. She shared her insight and talent with everyone and held back nothing from her students.
She was simple the best.
Linda

Loretta said...

I have Jean to thank for my introduction to quilting so many years ago. She not only shared her wonderful talents with all of us, she said it was OK for all women to pursue their passions in addition to caring and nurturing their families. I am most grateful. Thank you Del for sharing the bittersweets of life with us. OOO

Corky said...

Before reading your text, I was sure that was you in the quilt! Thanks for sharing

Terry Grant said...

What a treasure this quilt is! I think of her quilts as so joyful. You cannot look at a JRL quilt without smiling. What a wonderful legacy to leave.

Sandra said...

Thanks for sharing this great quilt by such a delightful woman.
So glad she was a keynote presenter at the American Quilt Study Group meeting in 2009.
What a great piece of art quilt history.
Sandra Starley
AQS Quilt Appraiser
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com