Friday, April 8, 2011

Empty Spools week has ended. 04-08-11

My Asilomar stay is over for this year and I am eager to get home and do some quilt making - but, as so often happens when I have been gone for nine days there is so much catching up to do.  Quilt making must wait.  Tonight I am with Mary and Joe, but think I will drive home tomorrow.  I'm doing the program for Surfside Quilters Guild on Tuesday and need to get the 30 - 40 quilts organized and print out a list to use on the stage.  If you are in the south Orange County area and would like to attend the meeting, check on the website:
http://www.surfsidequiltersguild.org/  It is a daytime guild and the meeting is called to order at 10am.

Ruth McDowell didn't do a Power Point presentation for the evening program, but brought quilts to show "in-the-fabric".  She sold three of the six the first week; the remaining three were hanging in our class and paraded for the evening audience.  Her pictures of the entire quilts are much better than mine, so I will give you the URL and also show some details that I took.

Notice that the two halves of each petal do not meet exactly at the point - this makes the point appear to come to a very sharp point.   See the traditional tiny flower fabric used for the centers - it closely resembles the center of the actual flower. If you click on the image to enlarge it you can see the zig-zag machine quilting Ruth did to add texture and to contrast with the smooth curves of the flowers.



This quilt has what I think of as an "inset border", though it is part of the original design and sewn in just like all the other pieces of the quilt top.  Ruth pieces all of her quilts - the old fashioned way with front sides of the two fabrics together, 1/4" seam, flattened, pressed and another piece added.  The machine quilted surface is very textural because of the choices Ruth makes while quilting.
------------------------------------------------
This "new" way to upload photos to my blog is so slow it has taken me almost forty minutes to put up these three!  So the others will have to wait until I am home and can do some more research.  Sorry.
#   #   #


1 comment:

abelian said...

I like the irregular border on the first quilt, too. Her borders are always wonderful.

Dottie