Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A new restaurant in Tustin 04-6-11

This morning Corky and I drove down to Dana Point to the quilting bee for the outgoing SQG president's quilt.  The hostess had said it was okay to have Corky with me - he was in his stroller and pretty much slept the whole time.  I didn't take any pictures of the quilters or the quilt, I guess I just was enjoying myself so much my mind was in a one-way channel which didn't divert for photography.  I have no idea how long it has been since I hand quilted on a standing frame, years - maybe a decade - and I once always had a quilt set up so I could sit down and quilt for ten minutes or hours.  Soooo relaxing.  But then the arthritis in my hands got worse, creating cramps after only 15 - 20 minutes.  However, today I didn't have any cramps, but my hands are very sore tonight.  I've done my hand exercises and will try for twice tomorrow.  I'm thinking of setting up a frame again and trying to quilt for a few minutes each day - a different sort of hand exercise and one that I would enjoy.  My stitches were not very even today, but fortunately I happened to be quilting on the block that I made for the quilt, so nobody will be sad their block has crooked stitches. 

Liz gave me an article from the Register newspaper about this new restaurant, which just happens to be two doors down from Flying Geese Quilt Shop.  The reviewer was full of praise and the mention of lamb shanks started me drooling.
 
There is a large patio with bright red umbrellas and red polka dot plastic tablecloths - very cheerful and relaxing - and the owners are dog friendly.  They have a standard poodle at home.

Corky was welcome in his stroller and was generally well behaved.  He normally has his dinner at 5pm and I had brought it along, in case we ran late, so he also dined at Norma Jane's! 

The menu said that lamb shanks were available after 5pm, but the waitress took my order though it was only 4:40pm (this was supposed to be lunch).  I ordered the full plate - it contained two enormous lamb shanks with the meat falling off the bone - and I had already eaten most of one when I thought to take a picture.  See the bones on the bread/butter plate at top right!  The mixed veggies were fresh and crisp with a little dollop of chopped garlic and __ ? on the side of the plate.  Under the shanks were wonderful creamy mashed potatoes and what I guess was the juice from cooking the shanks.  I brought the other shank, sans bones, home in a box to slice and have with rice tomorrow night.  I haven't cooked my little grandmother's "The Meat That Falls Off The Bone" recipe for years - it makes too much for just one and I don't know that many people who enjoy lamb.   It is a little more stew-like than what I had today.

 
The dessert list included "Berry Crisp", one of my most favorite desserts.  It came topped with a large scoop of very vanilla-y ice cream coated in a wash of raspberry puree.   It was individually baked in the dish and included raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.  I thought I would have to ask for another box, but I made a huge effort and finished eating every bite.  I would have licked the dish, but it seemed a little too brazen!   By the time we finished eating the commute traffic was lighter, making it an easy drive home.  We passed up Starbuck's - I'm trying to break the habit! 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rayna said...

My mother says there's always room for ice cream: it fills the crevices! What a yummy looking meal. Glad you passed up Starbucks!

Loretta said...

Just about the perfect day, I'd say!