Thursday, May 19, 2011

SAQA Conference - Denver 05-19-11

This is the view out our seventh floor window at the Comfort Inn in downtown Denver. Fortunately there is the width of about a three story building between here and there.  
 
We can look out and see the street below.  In the rain, of course.  Fortunately there is a pedestrian walkway on the second floor that gives us access to the Brown Palace Hotel where the meetings will take place tomorrow.  We don't have to go out in the rain. 
Looking out to the other side of the window we see this ancient building all hidden behind the skyscrapers.  I asked the parking valet where they parked our cars in the bowels of the motel and he told me that they are all in this building which was once a bus station.  Doesn't quite make sense - it looks more like an place where there once were ladies making clothing on high speed machines, back in the day.

Here is Ruth Powers' bed stacked with all the pillows in the room!  I always carry my own special pillow, so I just let her have all of them!  My bed is identical except for the pillows.  I drove out to the Denver Airport, about 20 -24 miles to pick Ruth up this morning and she came in right on time. It wasn't even raining, but it has been pretty much all afternoon and evening.
Here is Ruth at the Meet & Greet (or whatever name they use) this evening.   She just happened to be standing in front of her little quilt "Border Terrier" which is part of the traveling SAQA exhibit "What is a Quilt?"  You will notice that there are no names on the quilts, which I find very irritating.  I just think that if someone does all the work to make one of these little gems it should have a label acknowledging their effort.   I continue my campaign for the 21st Century to stamp out Anonymous was a Woman.
Groups of three or four would form and then be joined by a few others and then divide and go off to another area and reform.  It was fascinating watching this process of pooling and un-pooling.  Here are Jill Rumoshosky Werner, Judith Trager and Diane Munoz visiting.

 

Here is that dear lady Linda Colsh giving me a wave.  She lives in Belgium and comes home to the USA for SAQA (she is a board member), to see her family and to shop for things she can't find in Belgium.   There are several Linda Colsh quilts in the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection and, I'm sure, there will be more in the future.  She does wonderful work.  http://www.lindacolsh.com/
 
These conferences are so exciting, meeting people from the past and making new acquaintances, seeing interesting clothes and jewelry, hearing what new directions the artists are exploring.  But I get exhausted very easily any more.  There are NO chairs unless one goes to sit around vacant tables in the meeting room, so everyone is static.  There are these stairs, but only half the width can be occupied, while the other half is for people who want to go up and down.  So, I finally just gave up and came up to our room.  After a bit of a rest I started with my computer 'duties' and now it is late and I need to get into bed.  Soooo tired!
Posted by Picasa




4 comments:

Suzanne Kistler said...

Thank you so much for posting about the Conference! I'm with you there, vicariously. ;)
With so many entries in "This is a quilt," I'm sure you didn't notice mine...it is white and pale pieced diamonds, beaded with a snowflake and is called "Ice." If you glimpse it, could you snap a pic, pretty please? Only if you notice it, don't spend too much time looking for it...
Have fun, Del! Stay energized!

Loretta said...

I too am enjoying the conference, vicariously! Thank you.

Rayna said...

Love the pictures and nice to see familiar faces. Judith Trager was very hospitable to me a few years ago when I was teaching at Front Range and stayed with her in Denver on the weekend between the class and the lecture. Boulder - my favorite place in the world, after Paris and Venice. I know Jill, and Diane was kind enough to take photos of my work at an exhibit in Michigan we were in.
And, of course, dear Linda. Hi to all of them for me. Have fun!

Linda said...

lol--you got me--you and your camera! I really had fun today. Pixeladies class is the BEST and those two are a hoot. Was in a caravan of two full cars out to Golden tonight to see the Sightlines quilts and was very pleased. Del, you looked fantastic in your turquoise today--cant' wait to see what you wear tomorrow.
(hugs to you too Rayna)