Sunday, June 19, 2011

Trip Report 06-18-11

 
Here is the "Gold Standard" (as I have dubbed my vehicle) at the pump near Cave Fort, Utah, about two miles north of the junction of I-15 and I-70.  This is the station that I visited in memory of running on fumes the last time I drove this route.   It is the only station for some miles around and not very busy when I have been there.  Gas was high ($4.109) but not the highest - that was at my local Arco station when I tanked up on my way out of town at the start of the trip ($4.199).   The cheapest gas I bought was $3.599 at both Jamestown, NM, and at Lake Havasu City, AZ.  I read just recently that Californians currently pay sixty-five cents in state and federal taxes on each gallon of gas we buy.

The Road Trip was 3843 miles from start to finish and took me through ten states:  CA, NV, UT, CO, NE, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ.  The highway just nicks the northwest corners of OK and TX, so they almost don't count.  Most of the driving was on the Interstate Highways - I-15, I-70, I-25, I-80 and I-40.  But there were a fair number of miles on "blue highways" in Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico.   Except for the snow in the Rockies and the wind in southern Kansas, the weather was moderate - the rain at times was heavy, but not enough to drive me off the road.  I manage to avoid all tornadoes!

I haven't added up the motel costs.   I prefer to stay at Holiday Inn Express because I seem to feel safer and I find the rooms spacious and comfortable.  The SAQA conference was at the Comfort Inn in Denver - the room was comfortable but a little snug for two people.  We had to ask for another chair and a refrigerator.   The dried up salmon at the Holiday Inn (NOT an Express) in Grand Island, NE, was the very worst meal I had.  Probably the best was Charlie Powers Beer Can Chicken at their house in Carbondale, KS.  When I travel alone I tend to eat our of my "food bag" and ice chest.  Cheese and crackers, carrots and celery, applesauce cups, little 3 oz. cans of chicken, etc..  And Starbucks, of course! 

It was a great trip.  The conference was a "rush" with lots of like-minded ladies.  Traveling with Ruth Powers was, as always, comfortable and fun.  If I hadn't had obligations at home I might still be traveling.  I did so want to go to the opening of Quilt National in Athens, Ohio, but I have to learn to accept that I can't do everything I want to do.  Who of us can?   I'm glad so many of the readers of this Blog came along with me and enjoyed the trip.  I'll be going to Washington state in August for the Pacific West Quilt Show in Tacoma.  Another Road Trip, probably around 3200 miles.  I can hardly wait!  
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Rayna said...

Well, dearie, I think if you are driving that far you should turn around and drive to New Jersey. Think of all the fun we would have in New York City!!

I assume with your reference to 'blue highways' that you read that wonderful book by William Least Heat-Moon. I loved it so much that I gave it to my father to read, since he always preferred "the scenic route." Highways made him drowsy. I, too, prefer back roads if it doesn't matter when I arrive.

Susan Turney said...

I did love "traveling along with you" and wish you only perfect weather on the next one!

Patty ♣ said...

Yes! It was another nice ride along! Thanks Del!

Loretta said...

On the road again with Del, this time to WA -- great fun. My trip to Kalispel, MO, last fall is still with me -- beautiful country, wonderful quilting....and I'm itchin' to hit the road again!

Ruth Powers said...

Lucky me- I got to ride along for real!! It was a great trip - thanks Del!