Friday, August 5, 2011

Quilt Festival - Long Beach Traditional 08-05-11

Either there weren't that many traditional quilts shown or I missed them.  The first two quilts are from the special exhibit "In the American Tradition - 2010"


Be still my heart!  I do love blue/yellow quilts and this one is outstanding.  I don't understand her method, "...a template that makes 8 blocks at once.", but I am intrigued. 

The white-glove lady kindly held the quilt up so I could photograph the back - it is indeed a two-sided quilt.  The bottom of the quilt is vertical on the left side of the picture - you can just see the doily label on the top left.


I think the quilting should enhance the design of the quilt.  Sometimes that means following the seamlines and sometimes a more free flowing line is effective.  Here the quilting adds to the overall success of the quilt by contrasting with the symmetrical design of the piecing. 
And what a celebration of printed fabrics - a feast from Lynn's fabric library! 

The little tassels hang on the ends of the sun's rays.  Click on the full picture for a closeup. 



                                 63" Square    Sometimes I miss a picture and this is one of those times.  I took a picture of the label and a couple details, but I didn't take a picture of the entire quilt!  Usually someone stops to talk and I forget to turn back to take the picture, or someone is standing directly in front of the quilt and by the time they move I have forgotten what I was waiting for!   In this case, the quilt happens to be the one on the cover of the show catalog, so I took a picture of the cover and post it above.  Notice that this quilt has been sold - that is what the red dot means.  I was not the buyer!  
Timna has done a commendable job of selecting fabrics that go with the fabrics in the vintage blocks she has used.

Fussy cutting some of the circles is a nice touch.





The labels below go with three quilts in the picture below - left to right.



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Corky said...

Lynn Buske is a friend and teaches a lot here in SC. Remember the 'four patch swirl' quilt from some time ago? That was a class with Lynn.

June said...

The Summer Solstice quilt really caught me. Wouldn't it be wonderful on a rainy winter's day, just to snuggle under? Or to hang on an entry wall to greet visitors? It's the kind of piece that makes me wish I had more money -- I buy it in a minute.

Suzanna said...

Looking at your blog reminds me how rich is world of art and then encourages me to Go For It! Thanks for posting these jewels.

Del said...

I'm glad you are all enjoying the quilts. But I wish you could all have been there to see them "in-the-fabric". Glorious! Love, Del