Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Monday Browsing 09-26-11

Well, I haven't actually been doing much browsing. But I have a few sites to suggest.
This one came from my friend Patty who seems to frequently come up with sites that have interesting photos. This one has pictures taken in the late 1930s and early 1940s using COLOR slide film. The pictures live at the Library of Congress. The detail is amazing, but what strikes me (and probably everyone who looks at them) is the color - my brain has a hard time accepting such images in color, since all the pictures I have seen from this era have always been in black & white.
The B&W picture below is from 1941 or 1942 and shows my family in front of the house my dad was building.  The only colors I am sure of are the Douglas fir trees, the brown house in the background, the green Plymouth, Buddy (the brown dog on the left) and my uncle's dark blue sailor suit.
 
Ellery, my dad; Grandmother Ella, Grampa Wilce, Aunt Vernice, Uncle Gordan.  And, on the running board of the Plymouth, my (about) 3 year old self. 
 For further contrast check this site: 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

Amazing photos. I could look at old photos for hours on end.