Monday, September 26, 2011

Two quilts from Virginia Spiegel in TCQC 09-25-11

Here are two pieces from Virginia Spiegel, part of her Boundary Waters series.  I purchased both of them in 2007 - two because I couldn't decide which one I liked the best!  The following URL will take you to a page where Virginia explains the lure of the Boundary Waters Wilderness located on the border of Minnesota and Canada.

"Boundary Waters #30"  Virginia Spiegel - Byron, IL  2007 9.25"W x 9.5"L
Hand printed and hand dyed fabric.  Machine applique and quilting.  Hand stitched accent.  
I find this piece difficult to photograph because of the light colored mesh layer between the background and the appliqued "grasses".  Therefore, I have used photos of the fronts of the works provided by Virginia. 

As many artists do these days, Virginia has used hand painted "rejects" on the back of the quilt.

"Boundary Waters #28"  Virginia Spiegel - Byron, IL  2007  7.75"W x 10.75"L
Hand printed and hand dyed fabric. Machine applique and quilting. Hand stitched accent.
Virginia is an amazing person and gifted artist who I have admired and watched for years.  I gladly supported her FFAC project to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. 

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these wall-hangings from your collection...it's interesting and educational to get to view these works of art. My Best, joni

Wen said...

nice back! labels seem simple but really add a lot!