Sunday, December 25, 2011

A funky angel for Christmas Day 12-25-11

I always enjoy seeing Bodil Gardner's quilts at a quilt show.  She looks at things in a very original way and uses her unique style to present her view of the real world or a fantasy world.   I have posted a number of her quilts that I photographed at quilt shows/exhibits - look in the sidebar for her name and click to bring up the posts where her quilts are shown.  
As always, click to enlarge any image.
"Danish Angel"  Bodil Gardner - Denmark  12.5" X 12.5"
Cotton fabrics.  Machine applique, no quilting.
Bodil did not give a name for this quilt, so I named it.  I was disappointed that it exceeds the 12 inch requirement that existed back in 2007 when I purchased it from the SAQA auction.  Now the quilts in the auction are captioned to indicate the size and I don't bid on anything that is an odd size.  Why?  Display and storage.  I don't like the look of half a dozen quilts on the wall when one is a different size - of course, if they are all different sizes it is more acceptable.  Just my personal choice.  Storing so many quilts requires organization - as I explained a few days ago I store 12X12 quilts in archival boxes that are 13X13, so the 12X12 quilts fit perfectly.  I have another box the same size in which I store smaller quilts, but anything larger would have to go in a larger box.    For that very reason this quilt has not been listed in my inventory because I don't see it when I am working with the 12X12 quilts.
 
But I do love this funky angel, who is sexless, and the awkward flight it is taking.  The sheer polka-dot wings are delightful.  And check out those rectangular eyes!

 
 
Both the Bodil quilts in TCQC have a plain back that covers any knots or stitches.  And they both have a hand printed label.  Too bad she didn't put on a quilt title and a date. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristin L said...

I love Bodil Gardner's figures! Your angel is wonderful in it's simplicity too -- just him/her in the boundless heavens.