Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Trains and Trucks 12-27-11

What are you looking at?  This is a view along I-40 where the train tracks pretty much parallel the highway - or visa versa (I imagine the train tracks came first).  You will have to click to enlarge to see what I am talking about. 
 
On the left is a truck and trailer in the east bound lanes, followed by a line of cars.  Just above the trailing end of the trailer starts a curved white line - the leading end of a freight train which stretches to the right and curves back on itself.
On the right is a truck and trailer in the west bound lanes and slightly to the left is a row of five rigs that are about the same color as the freight cars, they are also heading west.  Of course, when I first noticed this juxtaposition there was more train on the 'straight away' and it was a more dramatic image.  However, I had to lift the camera from where it rides on the seat beside me, turn it on and point it in the general direction of the scene.  I cannot believe my luck that the camera captured what I wanted it to.   Maybe we are becoming simpatico!
I suppose all this is silly, but to me it is so amazing.  To make such a shot intentionally would require shutting down the highway (something that film makers do in SCalifornia - with extensive permits, tens of thousands dollars in fees and an equal number of irate commuters), hiring dozens of drivers and a train and a bunch of trucks and.....!  Well, you get the idea. 
This all occurred as I drove home from Lake Havasu City today.  However, I am so tired I need to go to bed - you may find me there late in the day tomorrow, recuperating.
Corky, by the way, had his laser surgery to remove the bothersome warts and is doing just fine.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I didn't know you had 2 other Blogs besides this one. I just answered your comment on My blog.. on your other Blog..Ha ha , now you must go there...♥

June said...

There's something about I-40 -- everything goes along there. I found myself fascinated at the Petrified Forest -- I-40 runs right across the middle of the Park, and the trains too, just as you have shown. I painted beside it (in a Rt 66 memorial sort of place) and somehow it got into my head, just as your photo shows it.

Hope you have recuperated. But since it's now Friday, you probably have:-) Happy New Year.