Monday, February 20, 2012

Twelve inch square quilt from Belgium 02-19-12

Here is another of the Twelveby12 group gift quilts that didn't make it into the current exhibit at the Visions Art Museum in San Diego. 
"Promenade au bord de l'eau"  Francoise Jamart  2011  12" x 12" 
Hand-dyed cotton fabrics.  Machine pieced and quilted.

This quilt brings to my mind the hard-edge paintings of the early 60's when I was in my early twenties and became interested in visiting museums and galleries. "Being enlightened" was the term we used.  It was a term with a double meaning - both cerebral and sexual!  But I don't know if that was universal or just in my "in" crowd.  I mention it here because whenever I see "hard edge" I am suddenly in that previous life and wonder what has become of the people and the paintings of that time. 
Of course, the hard edge paintings didn't have the texture or dimension of this little quilt.  I especially like the "shadows' in the apricot fabric and I see farm ponds on the prarie, with the horizontal channel quilting representing furrows in fields of grain. 

I find the back equally interesting, especially since the artist has used different colored threads according to the fabric colors on the front.

 
The computer translator gives me, "Walk to jump in the water."  A boardwalk, perhaps?
02-10-12 Francoise advises the name translates as "Walk by the water".
Thank you, Francoise, for this thoughtful quilt.  
Posted by Picasa


4 comments:

Julia in NZ said...

au bord just means on the edge, either seashore or riverbank. It's the same root as border.

Françoise said...

It means "Walk by the water". Here it's by a little lake close to my place.
Thanks for posting my quilt Del.
Regards from Belgium.

Christine Thresh said...

That is lovely.

Rayna said...

Catching up, I was going to translate but see that several others have beaten me to it.
"au bord" - at the edge. Pour moi, "au bord de la mer" means at the seashore. Moot.

Up to my ears, as usual. Sending a hug.