Friday, March 23, 2012

Chartreuse! 03-22-12

Usually I am in Pacific Grove earlier in the year - early to mid February.  I don't know if that is why there aren't so many flowers, or if it has been the weather conditions this year.  But the succulents are outstanding.  On Forest Street by the market is a ladies clothing shop named  "Chartreuse" which has a planter box across the front filled with succulents and ornamental grasses. 

 
A single speciman looks greener against the blue painted planter box.
 
Here is a large one in bloom, hanging out over the sidewalk.
 
 
In the market parking lot is a variety of eucalyptus tree that one doesn't usually notice.
 
But it is currently covered with red flowers and white seed pods.  I've never notice one like this before.  Brenda in Australia commented that this is a pohutukawa, native to New Zealand. 
 We had an lovely day in Pacific Grove with lunch at the Red House, several hours drooling on the fabric at Back Porch, and a visit to St. Vincent de Paul, also just down from the market.  They are the only charity shop that I know of that takes fabric and they did have several boxes with a couple choice pieces.  However, most of it was furnishing fabric of not very good quality.  I didn't buy any, but I did find a few items that I couldn't pass up (I'll share with you later).  I passed on the brimless red felt hat that made me look a little like a cardinal - the Catholic kind, not the bird!!  I need a brim on my hats - that is the whole point, to keep the sun off my face so the Rosacea doesn't "bloom".   Tomorrow is a "catch up" day and then the first session of Empty Spools at Asilomar starts on Sunday afternoon.   I gotta rest up tomorrow!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Del
The tree with the red flowers is a pohutukawa which is native to New Zealand. I have made some quilts featuring the pohutukawa flower including this one which was part of a special exhibit in Houston in November 2011. See
http://serendipitypatchwork.com.au/blog/2011/08/27/evolution-of-a-quilt-design/

Dolores said...

Have a wonderful time in Ruth's class!!! I'll be down for Session 2 with Jean Wells. See you then if you're there for Ruth's 2nd session :) XX