Thursday, April 5, 2012

Second week at Empty Spools w/Ruth McDowell 04-05-12

This second session of Empty Spools Seminars started on Tuesday instead of the usual Sunday.  So, I, and a bunch of other people, keep getting confused about what day it is.  Day three should be Tuesday, not Thursday.  Anyway, yesterday was the day that Ruth went over the process of drawing a piece-able design, looking at each student's photo or drawing and making suggestions for how the design might be drawn.  Today everyone (except I) settled down to develop their final drawings.  I always do a class list, which takes longer each year and includes a schematic of the room, who is sitting where, and what they are working on.  Somehow, this week it took me almost an entire day.  Of course, I stopped to have an massage by the wonderful Heidi Diouf, who provides massage service to many quilting seminars and retreats in this area - she has gifted hands.  And then I took a long lunch sitting with Verna Wheeler, my Book Group friend from Placentia.  And then ....  well, you get the idea.  I can find a zillion things to do other than what I should be doing!  But I thoroughly enjoy just being here and absorbing the creative energy and the beautiful surroundings.  Beautiful blue sky, but a wicked wind whipping up the whitecaps on Monterey Bay and trying to steal my hat.   I have signed up on Ruth's "HELP" list for first thing in the morning to have her check my completed design for any dangling lines or unsewable intersections.  Once she has her say and I have corrected any errors I will start numbering, ticking and transferring to freezer paper.  I did not bring a machine so will not be sewing.  But I can do some fabric selection from what I have purchased and what I culled from Mary's fabric library.  There is a lot to keep me busy.  And there is always the world's greatest fabric shop......

 
 
 
This was taken from in front of the shop looking at the Bay with whitecaps. 

Dinner out tonight at a restaurant that opened last September and is wildly popular with locals and tourists alike - reservations are necessary.  Il Vecchio serves fabulous fresh, mostly local food in a slightly funky, slightly sophisticated, wonderfully warm and cozy atmosphere.  I had the sea bass in tomato sauce - cooked perfectly - a crisp, fresh salad, and for dessert melt-in-your-mouth cannoli.  I might even have had a glass of wine, but I was driving.  Il Vecchio is just two blocks up from the Monterey Bay Aquarium and subscribes to the Aquarium's sustainable fish program, so I was comfortable eating the sea bass! 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: