Monday, July 30, 2012

Quilt Festival - Long Beach '12 07-30-12

More pictures from QFestival - Long Beach.  There were about 500 quilts there and I only photographed a tiny part of the show.   Mostly they are quilts that I find interesting or admire, but I also take quilts that I think some friends will enjoy seeing.
The placards are all wonky because I tried to get an angle that eliminated the bright light so that they could be read.  Some pictures have a plastic strip near the bottom - these strips are to keep viewers from getting too close to the quilts.  They aren't used in front of every quilt, just most - I don't understand the criteria used.


 

I do love Bodil's work - she has such an different take on everything. 

Her machine applique is done with satin stitch.   
I admire Jane Lloyd's work and posted one of her quilts previously (check for her name on the sidebar).
 
 She fuses and then stitches, but sometimes not, as in the little "sticks".
 

This is a great quilt, though this picture isn't so great.  See how the leaves lead the eye from corner to corner and all is safely contained in the symmetrical border.  
 
 
I've looked admiringly at Beatrice's quilts for years - such patience she has.
 
And it takes a lot of patience to photograph one at a quilt show, because there is always someone looking closely at it.  At least this lady has a nice hat -wish I had asked her where she bought it!  Having someone in the picture gives you an idea how small the squares are - awesome.
 
 
 
Kathy York made this in 2006 and has gone on to explore the theme of cities and towns and houses in many different styles - usually wonderful bright colors.  It was in the display of quilts made in the last 25 years and appears in the new book "Lone Stars III" the third and final part of a trilogy on Texas quilts.   
 
 
I think the name says it all!
 
 
Lovely images of three seasons (autumn, winter, spring).  What?  No summer?  This reminded me of the cross stitch bell pulls made in the 1980s (and other times, of course).  I haven't seen appliqued or pieced bell pulls, but why not?   Might be an up and coming direction for quilting.
 
 
Many of you know I am a poodle nanny, which is rather strange because for the first fifty or so years of my life I never liked poodles - too yippy, too nervous, always clicking around with their painted toenails.  But then I met Corky, the Poodle Prince, and fell in love.  This beautifully made quilt is just a reminder of my previous aversion and it has no connection or resemblance to the Prince.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

Bodil's quilt caught my eye as well. Such a fun composition! Of course, I am a big fan of whimsical quilts.

Christine Thresh said...

Such a nice assortment. Thank you for giving us a show.

Loretta said...

Once again, I am soooo impressed by the talents of quilters. Beautiful quilts. Thank you.