Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ruth McDowell quilt in TCQC 09-30-12


"Chickens in the Poppy Patch"  Ruth B. McDowell  2012  27"W x 25.5"L
Machine Pieced using commercial fabrics.  Machine quilted. 

Ruth has such a great eye for choosing fabrics that all work together to interpret her designs, but they often surprise us when we look at them individually.   
 
This beak is cut from the middle of a flower where the yellow lines radiate from the center.
 
This hen's eye is also cut from the middle of a flower with the tiny blue dot at the center.  Notice in the body of the hen the variety of light prints with different textures and in different colors. 
 
Great puffy tail for the rooster.
 
Ruth seems to find the best fabric for chicken legs. 
 
And a great Marimekko fabric on the back where you can see the excellent FMQ.
 
 
Ruth has signed the quilt on the front with hand embroidery.
 
And created a handsome label on the back which includes a contact for the artist.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Diane Perin said...

What a wonderful new piece for your collection! She is just the best with prints. I love fow she used a flower for the eye.

Terry Grant said...

How wonderful! I do love these chickens.

Dolores said...

Oh how I love these!!! XX

Loretta said...

Wonderful, wonderful. I do miss Ruth's energy in my life. I trust she is loving retirement and is well.
Hugs.

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing. Ruth has such a gift for finding and using the perfect piece of fabric. Nancy

Norma Schlager said...

I never met a Ruth McDowell quilt I didn't love and this is no exception. It is fabulous!

Jenny Bowker said...

That is just stunning - she is so clever!

Unknown said...

Norma said it first! I love Ruth's work....especially her chickens. I think I appreciate them even more knowing HOW she does them. Lisa

Patty ♣ said...

How fantastic that you own this piece! There is nothing Ruth does that I don't love!

Cindy Cooksey said...

I love her chickens! I have developed a fondness for quilted chickens because my daughter has real chickens. Any fabric chickens I might attempt could never measure up to Ruth's.