Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Photographer 10-16-12

There are seven or eight quilt guilds in Orange County, CA, and I belong to most of them.  I feel that I am lending support by paying my dues and do occasional volunteer service.  The guild that I go to every month is Surfside Quilters Guild which meets in San Clemente at the Presbyterian Church.  It is a daytime guild so I am not driving the freeway at night.  It is about an hour drive each way, but the ladies are so kind and enthusiastic that it is worth the time and effort to be at the meetings.  I do have a "job",  I am the guild photographer.  I take pictures of members and their quilts, workshop projects, monthly mini donations, the ongoing Block of the Month .... well, just anything that someone wants a picture of or I think would be a good picture for the newsletter and the website albums.   There are other members taking pictures for their own use and one of them, Emily La Mond always sends me copies of what she takes.  Thus the following two images of  "photographer at work".


I need to sit up front to do my job and Emily is always behind me somewhere!  This quilt is by our October speaker Anelie Belden whose program was about Dresden Plate quilts. 

Emily caught me again taking pictures of the Block of the Month - four examples from the last four months.  Everyone makes a blocks for their own quilt and assembles them to put their name in the hat for a drawing in June.  This year the quilt features the lady block by Freddy Moran and sewing tools/equipment. . 

November will be our November Fest featuring a live auction, raffle baskets and a delicious lunch.  You can see what is up for the live auction at: 
And the raffle baskets: https://picasaweb.google.com/surfsidequiltersguild/OpportunityBaskets2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCP35_ZyXt8q50QE#

In past years I have collected and donated a basket of items all  of one color, but this year I decided to just do thread.  This "Basket of Threads" holds 150 spools of many different types of thread, some spools are slightly used and some are brand new.  I thank Karen Rips for her generous donations from her thread library. 

I tossed in some Superior prewound bobbins, a few machine needles and a box of straight pins.  It would be a good basket for someone who wants to try out different threads.  I imagine the value is in excess of $500 as there are mostly rayon, metallic, variegated and specialty threads. 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh WOW! What a wonderful prize basket....sure wish I could enter!

Patty ♣ said...

Great idea Del!
Will be someones treasure!!!