Monday, December 3, 2012

Anna Hergert quilt in TCQC 12-02-12

This is another quilt purchased from the SAQA 2012 online auction.  I like this quilt because of the simplicity of the design, although I doubt it was simple to make.  I wonder if Anna originally made a complete spiral and decided to cut it down so it is off-center. Perhaps she will let me know.  And she did!  Anna designed it just this way, as an off center spiral.  It is hard to show the sparkle of the metallic thread which catches the light and sparkles in turquoise and copper.  I think the sparkle is what makes this piece.  The various colored fabric snips are trapped under netting and everything is held together with the straight stitched spiral and the scribbled metallic over the top.  Some years ago someone came up with a great name for this stitching, but I can't remember it now. 
 
"Maelstrom" Anna Hergert - Moose Jaw, SK, Canada 2012  11-3/8" x 11-1/4"
Cotton, netting, metallic and cotton thread.  Machine stitched.
 
 I lightened this closeup hoping that the stitching would show better.

An appropriately plain back with a faced edge.  I will have to take off the sleeve, which is applied with fusible, because it is too narrow for hanging with a slat.  A full 3" sleeve with an extra 1/4" slack is needed for many pole and drape shows. 

An simple hand lettered label with signature and a website to provide a way to contact the artist. 
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely piece, Del! Good catch!

Anna Hergert said...

Hi Del, Anna here... to answer your question: No, I did not cut down a larger quilt to create the off-center effect. This SAQA auction contribution was designed and created as a 12" square and deliberately "composed" to be off center.
Thanks for featuring the quilt on your blog and letting me know about it! Love your blog!

Loretta said...

A wonderful example for those of us who are afraid of thread drawing. Thank you.