Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Prayer Flags at OMA 12-04-12

I drove down to San Diego again on Saturday to serve as a docent for the "Brainstorms" exhibit.   Afterward there was a major VAM fundraiser "Sip, Savor, Stroll".  I might have named it "Sip, Savor, Spend" - that was the idea, after all.  The quilts were priced, no auction, but there were raffle baskets galore which were a lot of fun.   I even won one!  And I bought a couple small quilts - one for the Collection and the others for gifts.   I spent the night at Homewood Suites, ate their in house breakfast (okay, but the coffee was not), had a meeting at VAM and headed north on I-5.
 
When I was down with Liz last week I didn't take pictures of the prayer flag project at Oceanside Museum of Art.  Prayer flags seem to be "in" and I thought some of you might be interested in this display, so I stopped to take pictures.  The flags were made by experienced artists and school children, so the quality ranged wildly.

 
I thought they looked a little lost in this spacious foyer.  In the center of the picture is a screen and chairs where visitors can watch a film about the origins of prayer flags in Nepal.  To the right is the entrance to the main gallery where about a third of Quilt National -2011 is on display.
 
 
These flags are mainly by artistic adults.  Below are a few closeups, both of which are in this overall picture.  .
 
 
I like this one with the roots made of two layers of sheer fabric and hanging down.  I wonder if this one is by Jane LaFazio - looks like her style.
 
 
This artist painted a wonderful face and embellished it with lace and beads and rich fabrics.
 
 
These were done by school children.  I'm sure they are proud to see them hanging here.
 
 
On the wall there are three different authentic prayer flags (from Nepal, I guess).
 
 
Here is a nice one done by a child - why not an even number of flowers?  Nice work.
 
 
Another adult effort.  I wonder what the significance is and if the "JANE" on the right is a signature?
 
 
This is just the bottom of a flag - the lettering on it was "Color Outside the Lines".

When you go to see the QNational exhibit take a little time to admire the prayer flags.  Some are very beautifully done.  But they are hanging very high - impossible for a short photographer to reach high enough to take pictures except for the flags that were an the very center of the rope. 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Patty ♣ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty ♣ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty ♣ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.