Saturday, April 27, 2013

"Enchanted" Cottage 04-26-13

When I was almost finished with this post Blogger gave me an error message.  Everything looks okay, but if the pictures don't show, please let me know.  Del

My last night in this lovely little retreat - it has been a memory maker, I hope I come back someday.


Walking from the parking area up to the front door of Cottage #2.  (sorry, I forgot to crop out my shadow). 

Just before the front door are two rockers with a blooming planter on the table.
 

Inside looking at the front door.  The kitchen area is on the right with microwave and under counter frig.  I sit at my laptop with my back to the kitchen, enjoying my stems of lilac. 
  

When I was unloading my car on Sunday I kept hearing little harp sounds and wondered if I had driven so long that my hearing was off kilter.  I finally realized this is hanging on the inside of the front door - good idea because anyone entering would announce themselves.
 

To the right of the kitchen is the bathroom with a capacious corner shower.
 

The pedestal sink is charming, but there is no counter on which to put anything.  My overnight bag is sitting on my little cooler in the lower left of this picture.  Lots of white towels, great over the sink lighting, and plenty of towel hanging space.
 

This is the only closet and a third of it is taken up with ironing board and iron.  Since I carry most of my shirts/pants on hangers it has been a tight fit.  Fortunately, there are two suitcase racks - one for my suitcase and one to hold the bed spread - topped by my hats. The corner of the queen bed is at the lower left.
 

A very comfortable bed and eight pillows!  One of the perks of driving is being able to have my own quilt on the bed.  This one is large enough that I can fold in crosswise and have a double layer of quilt.   Under it is a cotton comforter (China) all white with big stitch quilting in vertical rows.  The light on the left is from the sliding glass doors to the deck.
 

On the other side of the bed is a gas heater, which I have used in the mornings, and a wicker settee.  Good bedside reading lamps.
 

There are close neighbors - this is a raccoon footprint on the front porch. But I have not seen or heard them.
 

From the front door I can see the owners home and Montessori school.  A great Douglas Fir in the background and my car in the parking area.  The trees on the right are in a city park - the Sound is beyond them.
 

In the morning I can see trees from my bed - heaven.  The moisture collects between the double window panes.
 

I have enjoyed sitting on the deck, watching the birds and making good connections on my cell phone.
 

The rhododendrons are mostly just starting to bloom.  When I checked in on Sunday there was a flower head of this one in a bowl on the table - lovely touch.  The host has also provided orange juice, milk, cookies and a small loaf of banana bread.  Nice touches that I appreciated.   If you are looking for a place to stay in Coupeville - not far from the Art Center - check out Garden Isle Cottages. www.gardenislecottages.com
 
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

What a sweet cottage! And how fortunate you were to find it. A little sad to leave, huh?

Carol said...

Oh my goodness, Del, this looks like the perfect retreat! I agree about pedestal sinks. They are a nuisance!
Your photos are, as always, gorgeous. I love your quilt on the bed. Here's to more adventures!

Dolores said...

What a great little cottage and a great time - perfect!! XX

Diane Perin said...

This looks like heaven! Glad you are having fun.

Patty ♣ said...

What a lovely place to spend some time!
Enjoy the rest of your time away! Loving the pictures!!