Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Road Trip -Athens, OH - Paducah, KY 05-28-13

I am writing this in Metropolis, IL, just seven miles from Paducah, because the HIE only had smoking rooms in Paducah (I'd rather sleep in my car) and the clerk directed me to this location.  However, I was so tired and feeling a bit puny, so I went to bed early and was asleep by 11pm Central Time.  And not up until 7:30am or so.  Feeling great today - amazing what a good night's sleep can do for me.  I did wear my earplugs to keep out all the unaccustomed noises and the banging of doors - endemic to motels I find. 

All that said, this is the post for Tuesday, May 28th - a bit of a catch-up look at my travels.


The University Inn looked lovely with white painted fences and railings and fresh spring flowers, mostly in pots.  But having stayed over a day I realized that the decor was probably for the two weddings that took place whilst I was there.  One on Sunday evening at four with the four bridesmaids in an earthy grey, each with a different neckline.  Is this the trend now?   On Monday the plant company came and removed many of the pots and tidied up what was left.  I had planned on photographing a gorgeous pot on the front steps, but I waited too long and it was gone when I went out to the car. 
 

One pot that remained is this arborvitae with a white trumpet vine growing up through the tree.  I pointed out to the plant guy that there is a bird's nest deep inside.  He said he knew and then he talked my ear off about everything under the sun. I had to excuse myself and go back into my room until he left so I could take the pictures I wanted.
  

Here is a view of the bird's nest - I was too short to get a view from above.  But you can see the fuzzy top knot of the baby bird - I believe there was only one.  I had watched the adult(s) flit in and out as they returned to feed the chick and then take off for more ,,more  ..more!  I believe it is a robin's nest, but could never get a good look at the adult(s) since I had other things to do beside waiting for them to appear.
 
 
This is the little herb garden at the Dairy Barn Arts Center.  It is enclosed with a tall fence and has a weighted gate that will close automatically.  I presume it is to keep out deer.  I sat on this bench for a half an hour on Monday, watching the birds and contemplating the green-ness of Ohio.  I had a broad brimmed hat to protect me from the sun. 


And then I was on the road again, this leg (498 miles) was from Athens to Paducah.  I had thought about stopping there before I left CA, but left the decision for later.  When I mentioned that I was thinking of bypassing the National Quilt Museum someone asked, "When were you there last?  When will you ever be this close again?"  Good point, I may never be here again, which made the decision for me.

I took a surface road that goes along the river through many little towns.  Not much traffic and a chance to see something other than the Interstates.  Lots of living going on across this huge country and it is nice to have a glimpse now and then.  Makes one appreciate what one has in their own part of the world.  I was not attracted to this sign, but to what was displayed all around it.
 

There were somewhere close to a hundred colorful gliders, rockers, and stationary "chairs" in these bright colors.  I imagine the makers have stocked up for the summer tourist season.  The inventory is all made on site and, of course, the owner figured I was a customer and came out to greet me.  He was friendly and said pictures were okay.  I took the shot of the sign before I left - if you are ever looking for lawn chairs along county road 7 in Ohio you'll know where to stop!
 

Lots of Interstate with few vehicles.  I felt like it was MY highway.  Blue sky with some clouds, a bit of a sprinkle now and then, lots of lush green trees and bushes and some wild flowers.   The temperature was in the mid-eighties.
 

Naturally, since it is summer, there was some of this, but not much.  With so little traffic it was difficult to slow to the designated speeds - down to 35mph in places. 
 

I'm always amazed by the layers of earth that are exposed in road cuts and I take a lot of  inspiration images to use in the future.
 

Take from the bridge between Paducah and Metropolis, IL. 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Loretta said...

You reminded me of my thoughts on my recent trip from SF to Santa Fe. So much to see of this beautiful country and there is lots of breathing room too. Love traveling!

Mary Ann said...

Orange barrels are the state symbol of Ohio. Safe travels.