Friday, May 31, 2013

Road Trip - Stormy in Joplin, MO 05-31-13

I am still in Joplin, MO.  As it turned out I should have left this morning and I would be west of the storm.  Guessed wrong this time. 


The wind was strong all day.  I can watch this tree from the window of my room.  Hard to take a picture of wind, but it was really whipping the trees around. 
 

Mid-day it was sunny with clouds and the wind decreased some.
 

I have been missing sushi, so I looked up the possibilities in Joplin.  There are only two and this one had the best rating.  I went about 6:30pm and had very good sushi and slow service.  They make a roll called New York, New York - spicy crab and small slivers of Granny Smith apple - which is quite delicious.  I also had the miso soup and a spicy tuna hand roll.  The presentation wasn't unusual so I didn't take pictures.
 

I wondered about this rock just off the sidewalk, guess it is a "stone garden".  Odd.
 

This was the view from the parking lot when I came out - looking west.  Heading our way.
 

About fifteen minutes later - the view from the motel parking lot.

About 8:30pm I had a call from Liz in CA, who had checked The Weather Channel and was concerned.  While I was talking to her the room phone rang - it was a warning from the front desk that a tornado warning had been issued and I should come downstairs for safety.  I took my laptop, phone, camera, book and purse down and sat on the floor in the room behind the desk for about 40 minutes.  There were a man and his college age son from SBarbara heading for St. Louis, a couple with a newly adopted three week old baby girl, and a young woman with her lovely little mutt, Abby.  The college guy was the most nervous, however I think it was not over the possibility of a tornado, but the fact that he was missing a ball game being broadcast from out of the area.  To each his own, eh?

Don't know what I will do in the morning.  But don't worry, I won't go if there is a threat down I-44 and across I-40.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Dave and I were wondering where you were as we watched the Weather Channel a few hours ago. We both hoped you had gotten out of Dodge. Be safe! Keep us all posted.

abelian said...

Glad to see this post! I've been worrying. :-)

Dottie

abelian said...

Glad to see this post! I've been worrying. :-)

Dottie

Patty ♣ said...

Oh Boy am I glad to read your okay! The news was just reporting that tornados were in the Joplin area this evening.
I think I would have played it safe this am and stayed put too. Just don't know what to think right now!!
I almost called you too. Have been feeling sorry for all the people who live in that part of the country. Very dangerous right now.
Keep safe Del!
Patty

Quiltedtime said...

Glad you checked in. I have relatives in Desloge, MO and they are on storm watch. Very frightening. Stay safe.

Loretta said...

I've been thinking of you...I'm so glad to hear you're doing OK. Please stay safe.

Laura Jaszkowski said...

I was so impressed when I read that you were driving yourself to Quilt National. Now I'm glad to know that you are safe. Good decision to stay put for a bit. Hope the rest of the drive is uneventful!

Karen said...

We were thinking about you while watching the Weather Channel last night. Nothing like a little excitement on a road trip!

Beverly said...

Stay safe, Del- this trip has had way too much anxiety!