Thursday, May 30, 2013

Road Trip - A Day in Paducah 05-29-13

I didn't intend to spend the entire day in Paducah, but that is what happened.  It was extremely hot and I moved very slowly.  I drove around to see some places I hadn't seen before and also some that I had seen on previous trips. 

 
So, back across the Ohio River (where the sunset picture was taken yesterday) where I could see that the banks are almost covered with water.  A lot of rain running down from storms further north.
 

Hard to get the entire sign in a picture - this is the parking lot side of the building.
 
 

 

It was 95F and very humid.  I don't find the Lexus RX330 very comfortable to drive, especially on a long trip, but I REALLY enjoy the trip information.  In a glance I have almost all the info I need.  I had just filled up with gas before I went to the Museum and all two miles were on surface streets.

After I had spent some time and money at the Museum I headed for Hancock's which is almost across the street from the HIE that only had smoking rooms.   I saw this sign along the way and pulled around the corner and parked.  By the time I arrived at the table it was unattended.  I knocked on the front door and the entrepreneur came out to prepare the lemonade fresh using a method I had never seen.  She filled a large cup with ice, squeezed a half a lemon over the ice, added sugared water from the cooler and poured from the cup to a larger plastic "beaker" half a dozen times.  Then she handed it to me and I gave her four quarters.  Notice that she just through the spent lemon on the ground!   While she was helping me two other people stopped and waited, however they seemed to be regulars.
Her name is "DER-reek-a".  I asked her where her name came from and she said her mother gave it to her!  Oh, well.   
 

Here is the Lexus parked in front of Hancock's.  I was hot and tired and not really in the mood for fabric shopping, but I looked at a lot of aisles, picked out four bolts that were on sale and two others that I liked.  I bought three yards of one fabric that I already have, but I have used most of it and am pleased to find more.   

By the time I finished I was even hotter and more tired.  I listened to a weather report and decided that I would be wise to stay put for another night.  I called the HIE in Metropolis, IL, asked if they still had room 106 available and they did.  So, back across the Ohio River to HIE for another comfortable night.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Yet another adventure....I'm pleased to hear you're staying safe. L