Monday, October 7, 2013

Frieda Anderson quilt new to TCQC 10-06-13

I'm not sure how clear these images are because my eyes are very tired from spendig waaaay too much time staring at the laptop screen.   My deadline is tomorrow and I am not quite finished, but I have to go to bed!

This is one of the 12-inch square quilts I bought at the VAM Veranda Sale in August.  The only reason I can think that nobody purchased it previously is the irregular border.  I can understand this sort of thing if it relates to the shapes in the design, but this does not.  These "shaped" quilts are hard to display - they look odd hanging alone on the wall, but even more out of place if hung with a group of 12x12 quilts. 


"Jack Be Nimble"  Frieda Anderson  2010  12" x 12"
Hand dyed fabric by the artist, fused collage, machine quilted
 

Frieda is/was one of the Chicago School of Fusing ladies and her fusing technique is amazing.  No loose edges, no fraying.  Lovely curvaceous shapes.
 

She has used the pillowcase turn advocated by her friend Melody Johnson. 
I don't know where this quilt was displayed that required the Velcro  spots, I'll have to see about removing them since I don't hang anything this way. 
 

Very even and nicely done machine quilting.  I think she must use a longarm.
 
 
The label shows a lot of information, including an e-address.  I've always liked her logo using part of her name to form "Freestyle".  The machine applique here isn't very attractive.
 

Her signature is on the label, on the back of the quilt and in the quilting on the front of the quilt.  
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Well, the color combination is beautiful as is the quilting. I don't know her method of fusing/quilting, but I will look it up. It is lovely.

shilsenbeck said...

Thanks for the great photos and commentary.

The heavier decorative quilting next to the fused-on pieces is beautiful and really helps to set things off visually. On the other hand, the stems, for example, are not stitched down at all. I made one of the kits of another small design. Turned out beautiful, but I did feel that stitching was needed ON the pieces, not just AROUND the pieces.