Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Corky quilt in TCQC 12-29-13

This is one of my favorite quilts and it is even more precious now that Corky has died.  I think Diane captured the special look of this dear little poodle and she had never met him.  She used pictures from my blog to create her design. 


"Corky Encounters Nature"  Diane Perin Hock - Healdsburg, CA  2011   12"x12"
Cotton fabrics, illusion netting, cotton batting, fusible.  Machine appliqued and quilted.
 

I especially loved Corky's tidy little feet - they weren't quite this bony, but I think Diane's fabric choice is amazingly accurate.  I must say that Corky never paid any attention to the critters he encountered; I've seen him ignore a pair of ducks that walked within two feet of him.  He didn't even mind cats as long as they weren't in his yard or mine.
 

I've put in this duplicate which I sharpened so you can see the illusion netting that covers the entire quilt.
 

The white-on-white fabric really shows up in this picture.  Who knew that someone prints fabric with poodle curls on it? 
 

Diane is a member of the 12X12 Int'l group and this quilt was part of the gift of 12 they gave me because I sponsored their touring exhibit.   She didn't put a contact on the label - guess she hasn't heard me nagging people to do so. 
 

The backing and sleeve are a beautiful cabbage print.

Thank you, again, Diane.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

Absolutely exquisite--artistically and as a heartfelt gift.

Dolores said...

A most meaningful gift to a friend. You are blessed!!

Christine Thresh said...

Precious.

Rayna said...

How moving and beautiful, Del. Wishing you a good -better-best year ahead.
with love and hugs

Beverly said...

What a beautiful little quilt, Del. Wishing you a blessed New Year, full of friends and quilts! Hugs, Beverly

Suzanne Kistler said...

What a precious and thoughtful gift. I miss your little Poodle Prince.

Brenda said...

So sorry to hear about Corky. I will miss hearing about his adventures with you.

Diane Perin said...

Del, thank you for showing my piece on your blog. It was such a pleasure to make! When I prepared to make it, I had a good time looking back through your blog for photos of him -- and I knew you had many! I feel like I sort of "know" him from studying his photos and creating his likeness in fabric. It really pleases me to know that you enjoy this quilt and it reminds you of the special relationship you had with him.