Monday, January 13, 2014

Where have I been? 01-12-14

My world has been an electronic disaster!  At least my car is functioning - last time I checked!  I was in San Diego for the weekend and did not take my laptop with me because it is ailing again and not be be depended on.  Whilst I was having a good time doing tours of the exhibit and dining "high on the hog", my cell phone died.  Completely.  Wouldn't take a charge on either house or car chargers.  The real disaster part was that I did not have access to phone numbers or addresses or the Internet.  The only phone numbers I have in my purse are the emergency numbers that go with my drivers license.  I had directions printed from Google to find the location where my group was meeting, so I decided to just go there and apologize to the friend I was supposed to take with me.  She did drive herself (along with the delicious lemon cake she was bringing for coffee break) and, I hope, has forgiven me for standing her up.  The moral to this story is that one should carry a variety of numbers in one's purse or vehicle.  Despite being a complete wreck (what happened to the Del who is Calm in Chaos?) I enjoyed the meeting and am excited about being a member of such a productive and knowledgeable group of art quilters. 

When I returned from SDiego yesterday I unloaded my car and went directly to Verizon where I spent about two hours buying a new phone and having everything transferred from old to new.  And, since I was just sitting there, I also bought an iPad Mini.  Of course, at this point all I can do is turn it off and on!  So, I am on a double learning curve with lots of bumpy spots and detours, but, like Terry Grant, I believe that old dogs and old ladies can learn new tricks.  However, my memory has a hard time with the new stuff, so it might take a long time before I can depend on my phone and my iPad.

Meanwhile, I will miss some postings and have trouble posting images.  But I'll work it out and keep in touch.  Thanks to those of you who were concerned that I had not posted for so many days.  I'll try to not leave you all dangling.  If I can post pictures we might have a week of Wordless Days!

6 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

Having access to emergency numbers has also been on my mind as of late. I got new stickers from AAA for my vehicle but was thinking that the stickers should have their phone numbers on them. What if someone was locked out of their vehicle with their purse and phone inside. Maybe I will say something to AAA about that.

Glad you survived and made it to all the places you had planned.

Carol said...

This is so true, Del. I no longer have any important phone numbers memorized either. There is a lesson there. Glad you survived!

Sally Morris said...

I'm with you and Terry on old girls learning new tricks. My kids gave me a Samsung Note tablet for Christmas. It is a challenge I am going to lick, and you will too. At least it syncs with my Samsung Galaxy S III. Wonder if I will see you at Road?

Del said...

Sally Morris, I am planning to be at Road on Friday, but may go back on Sunday if I haven't seen enough. Do say hello if you see me - not too many behatted ladies around.

Elaine said...

When we had the last big fire here in San Diego we evacuated with family pictures, 4 cats, 2 dogs and a very sick (congestive Heart failure) husband in a 22 ft. motorhome. While camping at the beach for 5 days until we returned to our thankfully intact home, we made a list of all the important papers we should have brought. We put together an emergency box immediately. We get used to instant info. A good lesson for us all-too bad you were the one living it:)

Loretta said...

A wonderful time was had in San Diego! More to come.