Monday, January 12, 2015

A 12X12quilt from Australia

This is a most unusual quilt, I'm not sure it is a quilt; I'd consider it a sculpture.  It is 2" at the thickest point.

"Journey On 2#"  Felicity Clarke - Australia   2013
Cotton fabric, wool roving.  Felting, foiling, painting.  


It is a very dark quilt and deals, I believe, with depression, that scourge of so many artists.

It is straighter than this, but I had to pin it to my photo board to take the picture and it is distorted by the thickness of the female form. 


This photo is taken at an angle in the hope of showing the thickness. 

I purchased this at the 2013 SAQA Benefit Auction and was surprised when it arrived in a very fat envelope.  I had no idea the quilt was so thick.  I think the skill of the maker in showing the female form is wonderful, she is like a real tiny person.  But I can't look at her for more than a few minutes because she is depressing.  I should contact the artist for a further explanation of her work.  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Bearlytherecreations said...

Dear Del
I hope she doesn't depress you too much,as she will get to the light but has to go through darkness to get there.
It is part of a body of work of art quilts and wall art used to express my own personal journey as I recover from injury and PTSD. I am only a beginner quilter , so I apologise for the lack of accurate blocking. I did struggle to bring her dimensions down to a flatter surface.
All my work is 3D in one form or another and all have needlefelting and soft sculpture , and in recent years the human form has become an important feature of many pieces.
Thank you for purchasing my piece. Felicity Clarke.


I feel priveledged to have had all my art quilts exhibited in Australia and some overseas. Ea

Loretta said...

This is a wonderful piece of art! So much emotion went into this piece ...wow! Depression is a horrible affliction and once in its grasp, it is difficult to understand or even to realize it's got you!!! I wonder if physically confronting depression, as I believe this quilt does, assisted in recovery! I believe it did! Thank you Del for sharing this very important little quilt! Stay well.