Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Exhibit at Visions Art Museum in SanDiego 07-21-15

"Amaryllis"  Ruth B. McDowell 2014  43"W x 39.5"L
 
On Saturday I drove to San Diego for the opening reception of the new exhibits.  In the main gallery is "Collector's Showcase" with quilts from four different contemporary quilt collectors, including quilts from Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection.  One of them is the Ruth McDowell flower above - quite a spectacular quilt, I think.  I have yet to talk about it on my blog, but will soon.  There are also quilts from collectors Carolyn Mazloomi, Yvonne Porcella and the Brakensiek Collection. http://visionsartmuseum.org/calendar.asp  The reception was well attended with about 125 visitors and I had the opportunity to talk about the TCQC quilts that are on display. 
 
It wasn't an easy trip and took me three hours, mostly at less than 40mph!  We had the remnants of Hurricane Dolores so there was wind, torrential rain, thunder and lightning. Although I couldn't see the lightning my car radio sputters when it strikes and I was amazed at how much zapping was going on.   I thought about turning around and just returning home, but the northbound lanes of the I-5 were just a long parking lot.  So, I just kept going along and eventually about Del Mar the traffic became lighter and the rain stopped.  I had not made a motel reservation and couldn't find any place that had vacancies, so I decided to drive home after dinner at Ikiru, my favorite sushi restaurant.  Dry pavement and moderate traffic resulted in a 1 hour 45min drive, arriving home at 11:15.  I was tired, but it was an eventful day and I enjoyed the opening.
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Congratulations on a successful opening for the collectors' exhibit. I LOVE this quilt! The fabrics are fantastic! Ruth certainly has an eye for color, texture, design and a HUGE stash to choose from! Take care.