Sunday, July 19, 2015

Fiberlandia auction quilt by Deb Cashatt 07-19-15

I was immediately attracted to this piece by the well coordinated "hardware" and fabrics.
Deb designed the circuit board fabric.  She says, the fabric is "..based on the gajillion pc boards that I have photographed.  I found some sections that I liked; then in Photoshop, I copied/pasted/clone-stamped, rotated, filtered and blended layers together until I had a pattern that will find its way into a shirt for my husband when I find a few extra hours."   
 
"What's Next?" Deb Cashatt  2015  6"W x 8"L
Artist created fabric, commercial fabric, part of a CD player, button, gold paint.
The tag on the right is a label which, of course, didn't show when the quilt was in the matting.  I will take it off and sew it on the back when I do a heavier binding and a better label. 
 
Deb says she loves to take things apart and has a nice selection of pieces to use in her designs.  These are the buttons one pushes to play a CD player.
 
No label on this side, but, as I said before, the artists probably expected their little quilts would stay in the matting frames.  I'd advise everyone to put some identifying info on whatever they make.  Who knows where it might end up?    Great quilting on this, I wonder how she keeps such even spirals?
#   #   #

3 comments:

Kathleen Probst said...

Very cool piece. The hardware is so interesting and making the fabric from the pc boards is very clever.

deb-of-pixeladies said...

Thanks for posting about this piece, Del. Point taken about signing the work. I was just having a discussion with someone about that very thing last week. From now on I will sign on the front. As for the spiral. I trace around a circular object first (spool of thread, saucer, pill bottle) then keep the edge of my presser foot next to the previous ring of stitching and just keep turning and turning and turning.

sewwhatsnew said...

Deb's work is always interesting to study. I hope to see Dave's shirt made from this fabric which expresses his "computer guy" talent. With so much knowledge between them it is a pleasure to know them. I also love taking Photoshop classes with the Pixeladies on line. If just a tiny bit of any of this sticks in my brain, I will be way ahead of the game. I am lucky enough to have some Pixeladies pieces in my collection.