Sunday, October 1, 2017

Re-visit a Ruth McDowell quilt from TCQC 10-01-17

This quilt was on my blog on 09-06-15.  It is so much a Ruth quilt and so bright and happy.  Not Canadian Geese, but seeing them fly over reminded me to hang this quilt to enjoy during the Fall.
 
 
In taking classes with Ruth over the years I tried hard to learn how she selects the fabrics for each piece, but, although I learned a lot, I think one has to be born with an "eye" like hers.  Who else would chose that glorious, bright circle fabric for a border?  It works.


 
Ruth has the ability to make her pieced animals and people look realistic whether she uses straight or curved piecing.


She invents her quilting design as she works.
 
Her signature is on the front....

...and on the label on the back.  She gives the necessary information: Title, name of maker, date, and a way to contact her.  Which is a good thing for me because people who are looking for buyers of Ruth's quilts that she sold long ago call her and she gives me a call.  I have added four of her wonderful early quilts this way. 

She always has interesting backs - this one is elegant.
 
#   #   # 

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Another wonderful quilt. Ruth broke many quilting rules, but every one of her quilts are fabulous regardless -- her quilting techniques superb! It is OK to break some rules if you have high or higher standards!!!