Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Motel Decor 06-12-18

My friend Liz and I spent the last two nights at the Holiday Inn Express (HIE) in San Luis Obispo so that I could give a program about the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection to the members of the San Luis Obispo Quilters.  I find I get too tired to drive for 5-6 hours and then give an evening program.  So, we drove up on Sunday and home today (Tuesday).  I like to stay at HIE because I feel safe at their locations and I LOVE their cinnamon rolls (as do many other travelers).  Currently the San Luis Obispo location is being renovated and I'm not crazy about their new decor.  Here are some pictures from our room.  

Yes, the pictures cover the wall and extend up onto the ceiling. 

The subjects are varied - sports pictures seem to dominate. 
But "Amor"??  On the ceiling? 

These are also on the ceiling.  I found it somewhat disorienting to wake up staring at the ceiling which seemed to be a wall.  Not being used to pictures (or mirrors) on the ceiling I wasn't sure I was laying down or standing up! 

As you can see the pictures on the wall extend down almost to the floor. 
That orange cylinder is a dumb lamp which you have to turn on the bulbs on both sides of the light fixture in order to turn it off; rather annoying if someone is asleep and suddenly the light shines on their face.  

This decor is rather overwhelming when what I want in a motel room is a calm, restful aura to let me calm down before going to bed.  There are not many of these photos I would chose to hang myself, but I find that is general true in any motel/hotel.  They do chose ugly art and frequently disturbing carpeting  

These three hang on the side wall.  We think they are close ups of mechanical equipment. 

Be warned!
#   #   #

No comments: