Thursday, June 14, 2018

Once a reader..... 06-14-18

...always a reader!  It is not a habit I have ever tried to break.  I started reading before anyone knew I could read, not books, but cereal boxes, street signs, the words in the comics.  I don't know how I did it, it just happened.  Check the "Reading" tab in the right sidebar to learn more!  

I like series and have my favorites that I save the books for when I am ill and just start reading them again from book one.  I never seem to have a brand new book to read when I end up in bed with bronchitis, which happens far too often.   Anne Perry's series about Thomas and Charlotte Pitt is my most favorite, although I enjoy all of her writings.  Also on my regular list is Elizabeth George, Jacquelyn Winspear, Tony Hillerman, Anne Hillerman (Tony's daughter continues his stories), P.D.James, and... on and on.  Recently I have been reading more and sewing not at all, don't know why, but I'll switch back one of these days. 

I just finished Anna Quindlen's "Alternate Side" - one of the best reads I have enjoyed lately.  I expect to read all of her books that I have not yet read and maybe even re-read some others.  She is a very good writer.   Also recently was "White Houses" by Amy Bloom (which might be more than I wanted to know about the possible lesbian affairs of Eleanor Roosevelt), but it was a good read.  I pulled an old book off my shelves and re-read "Nellie's Story" by Nellie Grant and her daughter, the aviatrix Elspeth Huxley.  I loved it all over again and it made me want to go back and re-read all of the Elspeth Huxley books and those of Isak Dinesen.   One of these days I probably will. 

At the Literary Orange event in April I bought James W. Ziskin's "Heart of Stone" and have just started reading it.  I didn't get very far before ordering the other five books in the series of Ellie Stone mysteries.   I think it is going to be one of those 'can't put it down' series that I have to impose reading limits in order to get anything else done. 

I have found some good book recommendations on blogs and Facebook posts and I hope that others will be interested and read some of my favorites.  




#   #   # 

1 comment:

Jan Hutchison said...

We seem to have similar tastes in mysteries. One of my favorites is Josephine Tey - I wish she had written more.