Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Book Club 09-04-18

I wonder how many of us belong to a book group of some kind.  I've been in the "Book Group" since about 1978.  And I have posted about the group over the years.  See "Book Group" in the right sidebar if you are interested in some of our adventures.  

At the last meeting one of the members loaned me a book " The Book Club Cook Book"  by Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp (2004 Tarcher/Penquin).  Since I hardly ever cook I was interested mostly in the pages that talk about book groups around the country.  I found that most of the groups started in the late 1990s and mostly have fewer than a dozen members.  The listing is done by book titles A to Z and each has a recipe, a report on a group and some other tidbits of interest.  It was interesting to see that many of them have the same favorite books, which are also some of the favorites of our group.  Most books mentioned are contemporary fiction although some date back to The Good Earth and Grapes of Wrath.  About the oldest is Middlemarch by George Eliot, published in 1871.

Of course, being a reader, I had to read the recipes also.  They are widely varied and many look like they would be a treat.  Maybe I will take up cooking again.  They are all connected in some way with the book mentioned and some groups specialize in serving foods related to their current book selection.  

I recommend this book for anyone who is both reader and cook.  Perhaps it is available at your library.   

The Book Group Christmas  12-15-10
#   #   #

No comments: