Friday, September 7, 2018

Friday Food - Birthday 09-07-18

Birthdays require dessert, don't they?  And I, having a large sweet tooth, indulge that requirement.   Every meal out the last few weeks has ended with dessert.  Those below were at Fish in a Bottle here in Placentia, one of my most favorite places to eat.  Japanese food isn't heavy on dessert, other than green tea ice cream with chocolate drizzle, but FiaB has several special offerings.  

Since it has been my 80th birthday I have been telling most everyone I meet how old I really am!   I eat at Fish in a Bottle regularly, at least two or three times a month and know some of the waiters and waitresses, so had to share my news with them.  The result was a complimentary dessert (above) with a burning candle.  But the picture without the candle is better, so here it is.  I always want to lick the rim of the plate when they decorate it like this.   But I resist that temptation.   There is vanilla ice cream, a strawberry, and a small "cookie" of fried  tempura dough.  All sprinkled with powdered sugar.  

We ordered two desserts to share.  This one is ice cream with tempura and, again, the strawberry.   

This is tempura coated fried banana which is delicious, we have shared it before.  I had my doubts about fried banana, but it isn't completely soggy and the tempura is crisp.  This strawberry is more than sad and not ripe, but I don't eat strawberries so didn't have to suffer it.  The red under the bananas is raspberry coulis.  

I'll probably not have dessert here again until next year.  It is almost too much after a good helping of sushi rolls or sashimi.    But it is special on one's birthday.  
#   #   #

2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Happy Birthday, Del! I heartily endorse eating desserts!

Linda M said...

I'm a bit late but Happy 80th Birthday! You deserve dessert!