Thursday, October 4, 2018

PIQF (Pacific Int'l Quilt Festival) 10-04-18

PIQF is October 11 - 14 at the Convention Center in Santa Clara.  I haven't been in several years due to time conflicts, so I am eager to see what they have hanging.  I'm not much on vendors, but I'm sure I will be investigating some.  San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles has a pop-up booth showing log cabin variations.  And the small group I belong to has an exhibit of eight quilts with the theme "Urban Elements".   I'll be hanging them on Wednesday morning  and picking them up on Sunday after the show closes.  If you see me, say hello. 

As a teaser, here is my 24"W x 36"L quilt "Birds in the City".  It wasn't all quilted when I took this picture.  It is fused using mostly scraps and bound in the style of Sue Benner with several layers of zig-zag stitching.  I've used a lot of different threads for the quilting, including some #8 Perle cotton, which works okay in my non-computerized Pfaff. 
And I have utilized double needles along with regular needles.  In the park section there are five birds, a pool, a stream, tree trunks, and lots of bushes and plants.  And there is danger lurking among the leaves.  

The eight quilts will be shown next year in an exhibit at Visions Art Museum along with a companion piece to each one.  Mine will be "Birds in the City #2". 


#   #   #

2 comments:

Loretta said...

See you at SAQA table Thursday noon???

Brenda Gael Smith said...

I am looking forward to my first PIQF where I will be teaching each day and presenting a lecture “Driven to Abstraction”. I would love to meet up with you if we can find a mutually suitable time.