Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Quilts at PIQF - Part 2 10-17-18

This first quilt was not a prize winner, but I think it should have been.  It is much more interesting than any of the prize winners, except for maybe the rhodie!   It was hard to photograph because there were so many ladies looking at and admiring it.  The white glove lady had studied it and was glad to point out the interesting details - she really LOVED this quilt.   The theme of the juried quilts was "That'll be the day......"


Although I took several pictures this is the only one that didn't have some portion of a body in it.

The four-patch flowers were all a little different in shape and color.  And such wonderful blend of colors. 

Each center was different and this closeup shows the crystals in the center. 

The back was almost as wonderful as the front. 

Very intricate and detailed. 

I almost didn't get the beading along the edge - at the very top of this picture of the back. 

Again the beading is at the top of the picture.   Very subtle. 




A very effective  use of this collage technique and she has chosen great fabrics. 





The other corners read Senate, House, and White House Staff


WOW!  What a background with leaves. 





I have always admired Cynthia's quilts, but have never seen anything like this.  Later I will post a picture of another quilts she had in this show, very different and more what I have seen of her work before.  






Always very realistic quilts from Laura.  Look how she has manipulated the threads to make the individual plants look realistic.  And the great color choices. 



Of course, I like it because it is yellow.  But I am impressed with the circular quilting. 



Great detail; boats, buildings, landmarks, and sea lions.




Great sunflower.



A new technique, or at least one I have not seen before.  




How sad that this quilt was folded , probably to ship, and has the ugly fold lines across it.  It would have helped if it had been folded face out.   I think this is the only big prize winner that isn't covered with glue on crystals or beads.   





This was first place in Australia.  Again, a lovely yellow quilt.


All these little seed looking things are printed and then quilted around. 




Very effective piecing.





Great Monarchs for all my butterfly loving friends.  Don't know how she did the dots, but they appear to be cut from lace edging of some kind.  

I have photographed some of the artist's quilts at previous PIQF shows.  Check in the right sidebar for Barbara Confer, Pat Durbin, Laura Fogg, and Bernadette Mayr. 

More tomorrow night and perhaps Friday, too. 

#   #   #



1 comment:

Rebecca said...

These are all wonderful, and your detail shots enhance the pleasure!

I came to comment after seeing just the first quilt because I love it and your commentary so much. Those were the detail shots that really drew me in!

Thanks for sharing.