Thursday, April 30, 2020

Thursday Thoughts 04-30-20

Here are a few more "treasures" I cannot part with.  Maybe I should title this "Thursday Treasures" rather than Thursday Thoughts!   I imagine these items are at least 100 years old and have belonged in my family for all those years. 

Once upon a time restaurants served butter on individual tiny plates called butter pats.  They are about 2 1/2" in diameter and generally held just one pat (a TBLS) of butter.  These are from a diner or some such establishment, although sets of fine china could also include these little plates.  I did not realize until a few years ago that the pat on the left and the Spencer's cream pot have the same black and red pattern. They may or may not have been acquired together.  The pat on the right is a very common pattern from those days. 


This little pot with the name Spencer's, which was my maiden name, was used to serve cream for coffee or tea.  I have always supposed that Spencer's Restaurant was in Portland, Oregon, where I spent my early years, but I don't know.  All through my 81 years it has held toothpicks, in my mother's cabinet and in mine.  I do have a male Spencer cousin and I spoke to him about this one time, but he didn't seem very interested and I have no contact with any of his children.  So I suppose this will appear at the Salvation Army store when I have used it for the last time.  I hope a Spencer finds it and enjoys it.  

#   #   #

1 comment:

Carol said...

I enjoy your “treasure” posts!