Saturday, May 2, 2020

An explanation of Wordless Wednesday 05-01-20

First, Happy May Day!  When I was a child just outside of Portland, Oregon, May Day was the day we went around to our neighbor's and left paper cones of spring flowers hanging on their doorknobs.   I sometimes think I will do that in my current neighborhood, but fear that everyone would think I had just gone over the edge and call the guys in the white jackets to take me away.   Times and traditions change. 


I feel the need to explain this week's Wordless Wednesday.  On Tuesday KoKo and I drove up to San Juan Bautista to spend a few days with our friend Mary.  Mary also lives alone, and doesn't even have a doggy for company, so a houseguest is a treat for her.  We didn't leave Placentia until 4pm and made an amazing trip in 5 1/2 hours and that included two half hour stops for potty and gas.  So, the actual driving time was 4 1/2 hours.  There was almost no traffic except for the big trucks and, to my surprise, people were driving the usual 70 to 80 mph.  I expected some speed demons to be hitting the 100 mark, just because they could.  None of those.  So, it was a very pleasant drive except for the last hour over the Pacheco Pass in the dark.  Usually there are a lot of other cars and trucks to sort of light the way, but not this time.  Some of the time mine were the only lights on the road.  Weird and creepy.  Anyway we arrived about 9:30pm and we all went to bed pretty soon after that.  


The first picture on Wednesday was the wildflowers on the hills around Gorman, CA, at the top of the Ridge Route.  Only poppies and some short yellow flowers I can't think of the name of right now.  No lupine in sight.  The middle two pictures are of Mary and KoKo and Froggy.  Mary didn't want me to post her face, but I couldn't resist her gorgeous white hair.  Like most people in the world she is yearning for a haircut.   The last picture was taken from the end of her road where her new house is in a new development on the edge of San Juan Bautista.  Right now the hills are a bright green and so lush and beautiful.  The old barn is part of the original farm the development is built on.  I'm not seeing many people as KoKo and I do our walks - two or three other dog walkers in the morning.  Many of the houses here have a gold colored card in their window with OK written on it.  These are distributed by the town and the fire department drives around to check that none of the signs have been changed to a red sign, which I suppose says NOT OK.  Nice to know that people are watching out for the residents.  


We will drive home on Sunday in isolation in our car with only one potty stop and then get gas after we are back in Placentia.  Social distancing by car.  


While here I have been working on the Little Houses. 



#   #   #

4 comments:

abelian said...

I love your striped houses. Just before I saw this post, I was searching on my computer for house patterns. I'm in the mood to make houses, too! Could those little yellow flowers be fiddlenecks? They're abundant in the Central Valley foothills, but I can't remember whether they're on the Grapevine. Dottie

Loretta said...

The advantages of a huge fabric library -- there are many, many striped pieces to choose from! Your fabric planning is to be envied! Thank you for the explanation, pleased to know the lady with the gray hair is not weeping and is fine....yes, the hair dressers are going to be very, very busy when we, at last, have a vaccine! Please, take care and stay well.

Gerrie said...

So happy that you were able to make this trip and spend some time with your friend, Mary. I think about my friends who live alone in isolation, but then, you have Koko!!

Rebecca said...

I thought that was probably Mary. I have some experience with camera-shy people.

The little houses, without windows, but with cheery colors, remind me of beach cabanas (think British seashores).